The 3rd East Asian Translation Studies Conference (EATS3) – CFP
The Third Conference will be held at the Ca’ Foscari University of Venice on June 28-30, 2019.
We wish to promote a general discussion on how translation has been influenced by contemporary global/local contradictions in the East Asian sphere. People’s mobility and migration as well as travelling ideas and theories are the fertile soil for the practice of translation, texts and people being deeply transformed by language and culture contamination.
The conference theme “From the Local to the Global and Back. Translation as a Construction of Plural and Dialogic Identities of East Asia” intends to provide participants an opportunity to share their views on East Asian translation and its scholarship and to seek the possibility to extend the concept and role of East Asia to further develop TS.
Final Round Table: Area studies and translation studies: ideas, synergies and research methodology
We invite papers on the following topics and beyond:
- Translation and interpreting in East Asia;
- East Asian traditions of literary translation;
- Circulation and consumption of translation in East Asia;
- Networks and collaborations among interpreters and translators;
- Translation and interpreting for immigrant communities in East Asia;
- Community interpreting in East Asia
- Post-colonial approaches to translation;
- Gender identities in the East Asian context;
- Pedagogical approach to translation in East Asia;
- Translation in popular culture, such as animation, comics, music, TV dramas, films;
- Translation by amateurs, such as fansubs, scanlations and volunteer translation;
- Translation studies and the digital;
- Machine translation, computer-aided translation and East Asian languages.
We also welcome proposals for cross-language panels on inspiring topics (either 3 or 6 speakers in one panel). The conference language is English. Please note this in your abstract submission.
We plan to publish selected papers.
Please submit your abstract (max. 500 words) by September 30, 2018 to the following email address: email@example.com
Successful applicants will be notified by December 2018.
EMAIL ADDRESS FOR INQUIRIES